ATP Design Works

ATP Design Works

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Return of The Waffle King -Mother's Day 2011

Official Waffle King Logo:
Tatumology Productions
It's always a fun time at Southside, and this day was no exception. Another Mother's Day was upon us, and we (The Men), were plotting to handle the breakfast duties as is our custom every Mother's Day. While they decided who was going to serve, take orders, and cook, there was no question as to whether or not The Waffle King would be making a return appearance.

This year, I had something special for the menu. Last year, I wowed the ladies with the debut of my now famous Chocolate Chip Waffles. This time, I looked to take my game up several notches. Being the food lover/ 'Foodie' that I am I had been on several of my patented Food Adventures which introduced me to all kinds of incredible eats. One particular run brought me face to face with The Buttermilk Truck and their infamous Red Velvet Pancakes.
Red Velvet Pancakes: The ButtermilkTruck
These were a very nice slice of deliciousness that got my creative mind whirling. Now. Knowing how I do love a good waffle, and how close a pancake is to a waffle, I began to wonder what it would take to get that pancake goodness in the form of a waffle.

Test Batch Batter
My thinking was this: If I could find a pancake recipe for the red velvet variety, I could at the very least tweak it and make it suitable for my waffle irons. After doing a initial search of the internet, I came across quite a few references for red velvet pancakes AND red velvet waffles. I did several scans of the found recipes, and finally decided on one that looked to be a real winner. The recipe is one by a very dynamic young lady Ms JG, and it was everything that I needed to proceed with my master plan! The Cream Cheese Butter may seem unnecessary, but the waffle will be incomplete without it, besides, It was an absolute FAVORITE of the moms and ladies when I served it up! Click This link for the recipe: Red Velvet Waffles I will admit JG, that I added one extra ingredient, a bit of something that I picked up from The Buttermilk Truck here in LA. I added chocolate chips to the mix!

Test Batch Stacks
I decided to do a test run before I unleashed the full flavor on the masses. I'll have to say, these came out pretty good. The test batch gave me a good idea about the yield, consistency, and when & how to insert those wonderful chocolate chips!

Red Velvet and Regular Waffle batter side by side

The actual run went very smoothly. I pre made the batter at home and dropped it off at the church the day before, so it would be good to go in the morning before the ladies arrived. I also made regular waffles while at the church, so I could get a good jump on the next day. I was itching to try out my new four slice belgian waffle iron by Cuisinart, but it would have to wait till the next day.

Batch one. Lookin good!


I'll have to say that I was very pleased with the results from the Cuisinart iron. My previous attempts to provide a good waffle maker for use at the church produced only cheap failures. I was looking for a multiple waffle maker with the durability and reliability of my tried and true single waffle maker by Toastmaster. Results don't lie. Cuisinart's model Rocked!


As the ladies rolled in, most initially asked for the regular waffles, but those 'in the know' requested the day's special: Red Velvet Waffles. As the first few orders went out, it didn't take long for others to recognize that there was something special going on. After all, there was a bright red spot on some plates that caused all eyes to focus in, and each brain try and comprehend what was going on. As the olfactory input reached their sensory receptors, cries for 'That Waffle' began to rise up all over hallowed Parmes Hall!

Red Velvet Waffle with Cream Cheese Butter and dusted with powdered sugar


Before long I had run out of time and waffle batter. Everyone who had one of the Red Velvet Waffles loved them, and those who didn't get one were just a bit upset that didn't know about the 'Special Menu'. The 'regular' waffles were still a hit, and some chocolate chip waffles were even made...on special request of course. Plans are already being made for next year's batch, and I even got a special request to make some for my sis Oana when I visit Brisbane next! Until then, only God knows what will be the next tour of tastiness for
 The Waffle King!

No comments:

Post a Comment